Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Woodward Beijing

There will be a WoodWard opening up in Beijing sometime late Spring. I havn't posted much info on it since you can read all about it on KickerClub.

I'm not quite sure what I think about it; I mean, it's def. going to be an epic park, but how the fuck do they reckon they'll stay in business? Look at SMP for example. The biggest skatepark in the world, and yet on a daily basis, there are less than 5 skaters there... ever. Plus, I hear the fees to get into Woodward are about 3000RMB/week. Who are they targeting? The Russians? The Japanese? Because the average Chinese family makes less than 3000RMB a month. Who's going to be going to this park? 3000RMB in the States ($441USD), is nothing for a week at Woodward, especially for what looks like (now) the best skatepark in the world, but I don't know any skaters in China that aren't sponsored or an expat child, who can afford to go to this camp. Also, the park isn't even in Beijing. I heard the bus ride takes 2 hours to get there from downtown Beijing. Will there be a bus on the regular to take people there? I mean, SMP Skatepark in Shanghai is considered pretty fucking far from downtown (that's also one of the main reasons it's so empty), but by taxi, it still takes less than 30 minutes. So the real question is.... what will Woodward do differently to attract its' customers, WHOM (am I using it in the right way?) are its' customers, and how will they keep them coming back?

I heard a soft opening is in March/April, I'll keep you guys posted on how really fucking awesome this park looks. Oh, but I heard they require helmets and pads.... really... really??, come on now, it's 2010 fellas.



No comments: